Taylor Swift's Best 7 Videos For The Casual Uninformed Listen
Taylor Swift is back with new single "Look What You Made Me Do" from her upcoming sixth album, Reputation.
The love for "LWYMMD" is definitely missing the same treatment from social media and news outlets that previous outings received, but as a casual Taylor Swift listener - I'm loving it. Let's dive into Taylor's seven best videos from the eyes and ears of an amateur swiftie.
7. "We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together" - Kicking off this list is "WANEEGBT" for it's bizarro imagery with furrys making faces cheesier than this actual video. The clip is cheesy, but also a fun Sesame Street set-style romp through a relationship and the drama that ensues. For anyone that questions "LWYMMD" - be sure to re-watch "WANEEGBT." Like right now.
6. "Begin Again" - This beautifully shot, soft, straightforward clip is like something out of a sorta-fairytale.Taylor is our princess and we just have to watch her with her prince. Swoon.
5. "Ours" - The thing to appreciate about T Swift videos is that there always seems to be a story line. Which is totally appreciated. Like entertain me, dahhhling! "Ours" does not stray far from that notion. This time Taylor is dealing with the daily grind of her office work day and she be missin' her boo. They Facetime and she just can't wait to get through the day to see the guy. When she heads out the office she's all "fri-yay vibes you guys!" The video closes with a super sweet ending. No spoilers here. Just watch.
4. "Shake It Off" - This was the song when every casual Tay listener said, "omg I think I actually like Taylor Swift." The video treatment is slightly embarrassing, but that's why it's great. Not like "22" embarrassing where it's just flat out "wtf is going on."
3. "I Knew You Were Trouble" - This is Taylor upping her story line from amusing PBS clips to full on music video treatment. This time there's romance! Intrigue! Adventure! You get the idea. Full. Cinematic. Taylor. Has. Arrived.
2. "Out Of The Woods" - Most of the 1989 videos feel like their from the same universe (as they should). Setting "New Romantics" aside (which deserved better), they all feel glossy, expensive and like prime-Taylor-property. "Out Of The Woods" is no different and while a lesser hit for T Swizzy, the casual listener could really get down to this "you can do it" anthem and scifi-adventure-esque video.
1. "Look What You Made Me Do" - This video is magical. There's so many easter eggs from Taylor's past and it's not only full-on cinematic Taylor, it's like IMAX-only-so-let's-make-it-count-Taylor. The video is fun, brings up tons of Taylor nostalgia, pokes fun at herself in the best way possible and feels exciting and fresh. There's been some comparisons to Beyonce, but they're two huge superstars, so that's going to happen. I don't see it and I'm in the hive. Just because two women are dancing in a wallpapered room doesn't make it the same. Can I breathe, dahhhing. (I also find the trend of pitting Taylor Vs. Beyonce Vs. Katy way too disturbing. You never here about Jusin Bieber Vs. Shawn Mendes Vs. Charlie Puth... #justsayin) Let's let Taylor live and enjoy what she's delivered, because it's a total blast if you just free your mind and let go of what you know.
*Torn between adding "Bad Blood" and/or "Blank Space" and ultimately omitted them both. So honorable mentions to those two.